Tuesday, June 09, 2009

lift not the painted veil

Some movies, like some people, without your consent, without invitation, without understanding, seep through the cracks and the intangible parts of your soul, finding a way under your skin and into your heart and mind... and there they remain, permanently. Maybe the story, the storm, maybe the person was there all along... but suddenly for whatever unknown reasons, your inner soul awakens to this mysterious presence...


The Painted Veil ~ A great story of love found, lost, and found...

Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call Life: though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
With colours idly spread,--behind, lurk Fear
And Hope, twin Destinies; who ever weave
Their shadows, o'er the chasm, sightless and drear.
I knew one who had lifted it--he sought,
For his lost heart was tender, things to love,
But found them not, alas! nor was there aught
The world contains, the which he could approve.
Through the unheeding many he did move,
A splendour among shadows, a bright blot
Upon this gloomy scene, a Spirit that strove
For truth, and like the Preacher found it not.

~Percy B. Shelley

11 comments:

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Beautiful writing by Shelley. I haven't seen The Painted Veil, but I just added it to my netflix queue. That scenery looks just stunning!

P.S. I'm having my first blog giveaway!

gina said...

I haven't seen The Painted Veil but I will. I have tagged you for a little fun come by and see.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

very poignant for today. And, I am glad you enjoyed the tea at the Phoenician photos on my site. You would really enjoy the experience.

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

CC, the scenery is absolutely stunning! I love this movie and have watched it several times. It's one of those movies that stays with you, making you think about it at the oddest times. Let me know what you think of it.:)

Gina, Hope you like it as much as I do.

Slices of Beauty, Thank you.

Julie, I very much enjoyed the post. And if I ever make it back there, I will for sure make it a point to go there. Thanks for stopping by.

~ ennui ~ said...

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
p.s.
love the new banner!

Josh Tengan said...

those pictures were just me wallowing, wishing i could be there. some enough i'll get there

this entry is pretty

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

I thought it might have been pics of last summer.:) Hope your recovery is progressing as it should.

Thanks, Josh!

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

ennui, glad you liked the post. ah, my banner and my page changes all the time. I love playing around with colors. I should be working in graphic arts as much I love it.:) Have a wonderful weekend! xo

Blind Fly Theater said...

Thanks for the three introductions... Sixpence and a Blue Moon is a delight in which to discover gems as these. Wonderful!
David
PS -- Sissel, oh my... her physical and melodic swaying rhythms... I need to step outside for a breath... C'était le coup de foudre!
David

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

David, you are sweet! Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Laughing at you over the Sissel comment. She is a beautiful woman! I saw her in person, and she is even prettier IRL, if you can imagine that. She does have the voice of an angel. I wish she would come out with some new stuff!!!

My Notting Hill said...

The Painted Veil is absolutely one of my all time favorite movies!!