Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Sooooo YUMMY!!!


I found this recipe on Journey To Crunchville's Blog. Since I'd been craving oatmeal raisin cookies the past week and I am not really a cookie eater or baker, it was great to find a blog with a recipe that sounded delicious. I don't like things very sweet and did not use as much sugar as the recipe called for. Hard cookies NEVER impress me, so I like that these are soft and chewy. Also, I did soak the raisins... and that did make all the difference.

Recipe:


1 cup butter, room temp

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

1 TBSP (yes tablespoon) vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinammon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp nutmeg

3 cups oatmeal (quick cooking or old fashioned, not instant)

1 cup raisins

1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)


To prep: The key is to soak the raisins. This makes all the difference in the world. Beat eggs and vanilla together and then add the raisins, stir. Soak for an hour or two. I just walked by a few times and stirred it while I waited.

Directions:

Preheat to 350 F

Cream butter and sugars with mixer. In a seperate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinammon, ginger & nutmeg. Stir the dry ingredients until well blended. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well. Now add in the egg & raisin mixture (I used my hands). Then add oatmeal and chocolate chips/nuts and combine well. Form into balls on cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2-5 minutes or until firm enough to transfer to wire rack.

Made about 2 1/2 dozen cookies for me and I made them pretty big. You could get 4 dozen if you make them small.

6 comments:

Gail said...

Not fair!

I haven't had breakfast, now, I hunger for these cookies.

On the bright side, they do contain many items that are considered breakfast food...

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

Gail, they do in fact contain some of my breakfast food. I eat oatmeal every morning, and after tasting how wonderful the raisins are after soaking them, I will keep raisins soaking all the time to use in my oatmeal. Soaking them makes them so plump and soft...and gives you wonderful syrup to sprinkle on something.

Thanks for your visit. Hope you're having a wonderful and relaxing weekend. *hUgS*

Melissa said...

Those look awesome, and so big and crunchy!

C'est la Vie said...

hello lady. Back in cyber world. Trying to reconnect. After a long break with the blogging I wanted to share whats been going. So check out my blog. By the way Starbucks new cinnamon spice flavored coffee would go great with these cookies. I am definitely going to try these. Hope all the children and animals are well.

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

City Girl, they were delicious...but chewy.:) **hUgS**

Hi Amy! I visited your blog to catch up on what's been going on. I am so happy for your son, you, and your family. I'll be by your blog to leave a comment. I haven't been blogging this summer, a lot going on. Hope to get more blogging done this fall and winter. Thanks so much for stopping by and catching me up on all the good things happening in your life. **hUgS**

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sixpence,

These Oatmeal raisin cookies look so yummy and thanks for sharing these healthy biscuit recipe with us.
It was great to have a visit from you again.
You sound to be busy and hope that you have some time to relax.
Wonder how your sweet dogs and puppies are?

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn