Saturday, February 21, 2015

Soup Saturday

Sjogren's pretty much kicked my butt this past week. I was scheduled for an upper and lower GI, they postponed it because I was sick. Yesterday was the first day I was able to get up and it was afternoon before I was able to stand up for any length of time.

It's been a cold week and I hadn't eaten anything in several days, so I was in the mood for some soup. Made this wand I tell you, it was delicious. I do believe I could live on soup and salad and be content.


Here's a list of ingredients, I'll do my best, since I never measur anything it is abit hard to write the
recipe.
These types of soup are so forgiving and easy to adjust the ingredients to your own liking.

1 small-medium head cabbage, chopped
4 chopped carrots
2 chopped celery stalks
4 potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
4-6 slices cooked bacon (I cooked six and added three to the soup and used the remainder for topping.
1 lb. ground beef or turkey. (I used turkey)
1 box beef or vegetable broth (I used vegetable)
2 regular size cans diced tomatoes (I used Hunt's with oregano)
On the spices I really did not measure, so use the ones you like and start with 1/2 tbls and adjust from there.
Marjoram
Oregano
dash cayenne (careful)
thyme
rosemary
dried basil
2 bay leaves
crushed red pepper
1 tbls. vegetable bouillon ( use Better than Bouillon)
couple dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

Cook and drain ground beef or turkey
In soup pot add a couple tbls. olive oil, cooked meat and stir in onions, garlic, carrots and celery, cook for about 4-5 minutes, add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cook until vegetable are cooked. Don't forget to add the crumbled bacon.

I had some fresh parsley and added it right before sieving.

You can add any topping of your choice. I added a dollop of plain yogurt mixed with a spoon of lemon juice, you can use sour cream if you prefer. Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, crumbled bacon.

Just use your imagination and personal taste buds to create this soup.

Have some fresh rolls, or bread of your choice.

You could even add some cooked quinoa, small pasta, barley, farro, etc.

Happy weekend! xoxo

“We are travelers on a cosmic journey,stardust,swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share.This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”
― Deepak Chopra, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams


No comments: