Thursday, December 02, 2010

YUM YUM YUM ~French Toast~

I have yet to eat French toast that is better than the French toast I make. In spring and summer, I like using fresh fruits in season to make a fruit sauce/syrup, top it with fresh fruit and fresh whipped cream. In fall and winter, I like a really good maple syrup. Two or three day old french bread makes the best French toast. I cook the way my grandmother taught me, without a recipe (if I do use one, I never follow it).



Recipe for my french toast:

Eggs
Cinnamon
Cloves
Nutmeg
A dash of fresh ground pepper
A little cream or milk
Vanilla
Bisquick mix (amount depends on my many eggs I use, and that depends on how many I am cooking for)

Mix well, put cut french bread into mixture, turn, let soak (in the refrigerator) at least 20 min., longer if you can spare the time. Add butter to heated iron skillet and cook the French toast on both side until golden brown. Top with your choice of toppings...and enjoy every bite.

FYI: Cooking in an iron skillet adds iron to your food. A GOOD thing!

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
He wouldn't have given us grandmothers.
~Linda Henley

2 comments:

Kamini said...

Oooh yummy! Love French Toast! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Anyone who loves children and animals has to be just awesome! Am now a follower of your blog too :-)

Odd Chick said...

I am so trying this recipe for me and my love this holiday season. What a treat! thanks - i'm not a good cook so I really love it when you guys give up your great recipes!