This is my favorite new blog Going Home To Roost - I found it last week, and had been searching all weekend for it to re-post this wonderful post. Check out her wonderful blog, it is very informative and so much fun to read - there are so many wonderful, healthy recipes on it.
there are several ways to stay well when the odds are against you. here are a few of my favorite, tried-and-true methods:
1. pound the green tea. that’s right, get to steeping! with it’s immune-enhancing boosters, green tea is known to help fight colds and reduce flu symptoms.
2. neti. do you use a neti pot? it’s a simple way to irrigate the nasal passages with unbeatable results. it’s safe, easy and soothes the lining of your nose as it removes the excess mucus that lingers in the sinuses as fertile grounds for infections and bacteria (and it’s been known to bring me back from just about near-death).
3. up your vitamin c. up your vitamin c intake to 1000-2000 mg a day. my favorite way is through taking a few emergen-c’s (my favorite flavor is cranberry pomegranate).
4. hydrate. simply staying hydrated by drinking lots of water will help you feel better and wash your cold away.
5. stay warm and rest. pay attention to your body and rest if you feel tired. that orange do-hicky-thing up there is my new ceramic heater, and it keeps me warm and toasty!
6. eat lots of garlic. garlic has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties that can help ward off minor infections.
7. eat honey. honey is great for soothing a sore throat. try adding some to your tea, or melting 2 teaspoons in a mug of hot water to sip on.
8. avoid phlegmy foods. that is sugar, white flour, wine, dairy and red meat- as these enhance the build up of mucus.
9. gargle. gargle with warm salt water to help soothe and heal sore throats.