Thursday, November 08, 2012

comfort words and comfort eats

If you have not had the joy of reading Neil Gaiman or Simon Van Booy, do so. Trust me, you will not be sorry; it is an enjoyable treat!
photo by spbm
I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we'll all be wiped out by the common cold like martians in War of the Worlds.

I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman.

I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumble bee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself.

I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck.

I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too.

I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system.

I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it.”

― Neil Gaiman, American Gods

On a different note, I made BBQ chicken pizza, with red onion, mozzarella and smoke Gouda cheese tonight. I did something different, I did not make pizza crust, instead, I thawed out some roll dough (this was store bought) rolled it out and put the toppings on - easy and quite delicious! Since I have enough leftover toppings, I will make it again tomorrow.

I read the recipe from Pioneer Woman Cooks but changed it up a bit to suit my taste. I never thought I would like BBQ pizza, I was so wrong.

Photos are that great, it was already dark in the house and I had to use a flash (which I hate using on food). Oh well, you get the idea. I was also in a bit of a hurry, as David's blood glucose was getting low and I needed to get some food in him.


photo by spbm

Updated photo - since I had enough stuff leftover from last night's pizza, it gave me the chance to tweak the pizza a bit. It was delicious last night, tonight even tastier. I added a little more BBQ sauce to the crust, a little more cheese, and baked it on the middle rack instead of the lower rack. I like the way it cooked better. I also added  more cilantro, just yummy!

4 comments:

Cat said...

the quotes made me laugh and reflect...the pizza made me hungry!!!!

love and light

Lola G. said...

Sweet torture -- it's a bit past noon here, and my lunch is not going to look like that. Your food always makes me want to pop in the car and join you for what I know would be a tasty meal. It's real food, not stylized and made to induce a state of guilt that we mere mortals are not serving our neverending stream of guests such delectable delights at the dinner parties we're effortlessly arranging five nights a week.

I've spent a bit of time on Amazon, and later today I'll download samples of Gaiman's American Gods, Van Booy's Love Begins in Winter: 5 Stories, and The Secret Lives of People in Love to my iPad. Thank you so much for sharing the bit from American Gods in the post. I'm not familiar with either writer, so I appreciate the introduction.

Be well.

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

Cat, the quote has the same effect on me. :)

Wishing you a lovely Saturday and weekend.

Lola, you're so sweet. How wonderful it would be if you lived close by and could drop by. I think you can rest with not serving cookbook style/quality food every night, I'm pretty sure the people doing these blogs are using their blogs as a tool for their career. Nonetheless, I love looking at them and do get quite a few good tips and ideas. Much of the time, I'm doing pretty good just to get something cooked and on the table, or "serving tray" most of the time. :)

I am thrilled you are finding Gaiman and Van Booy worth your time. I just love them both! I've read more Simon Van Booy than Neal Gaiman, but have every good intention of reading more of Gaiman.

Wishing you a beautiful and lovely weekend, girl. Really I do wish you lived close by.

Jo said...

wow...while, of course, i know of neil gaiman, i had never heard of american gods. absolutely loved this little snipet...will definitely have to get the book!