Thursday, May 08, 2014

May 8th

Finally winter has moved on...and I'm one happy lady. So much yard work to do, I feel a little overwhelmed when I go outside to work, but I feel this way every spring when I start yard work. I am grieving, we lost our fish this winter. After keeping the alive and healthy for the past few years, this winter was too much for them. It's hard for me to look at the pond without them there looking at me, pleading for a snack. When we got them, they were just minnow size - they had grown to 12 and 14 inches in length, there were nine of them. I haven't decided whether I want to try again or not.

I've been working on making my little Ada several pair of leg warmers, she'll be set for next winter. :) She will be starting her ice skating classes soon and wanted a couple pair for that, so, she ended up with several. I'm sure she doesn't mind.

I'm pretty excited, my kids will be home in July. It will have been a year in July since I have seen them, and boy am I ready.

Cooked a brisket in the crock pot a couple of days ago, made some bbq tacos with it, too delicious for words. I love cooking the brisket in the crock pot, it always turns out so tender. I never use a recipe for it, it taste a little different every time I make it. Just add your favorite herbs and spices, and I add a little vegetable or beef stock, which ever I happen to have on hand, a tiny bit of liquid smoke, and a small amount of bbq sauce. I can't use too much bbq sauce because of David being diabetic, just enough to give it a bbq flavor.



This kraut relish is so good and so easy to make, and, it is so good on burgers and bbq sandwiches, also delicious with beans.

Recipe for Sweet and Sour Kraut Relish: (From Better Homes and Gardens Bigger Better Burgers Cookbook)

1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sugar

1 16 oz. can of sauerkraut, drained
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper ( I used green, red, and yellow)
1/4 cup sliced green onion (I didn't have any so used chopped red onion)
1 2 oz. jar pimiento drained and chopped.

In a sauce pan bring vinegar and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool

Mix remaining ingredients, after vinegar and sugar have cooled pour over vegetables. It will be ready to eat the next day. It keeps for 2-3 weeks. You can store it in a bowl, plastic container, but I like keeping mine in jars. Besides, I have this thing about washing and cleaning jars and storing them away until I have a use for them. So needless to say, I have glass jars taking over my house. It's that frugal side of me that just will not go away.

And then...it is that time of year...when I love making meringues and topping with fresh fruits. I added a little Amaretto to the chopped strawberries and kiwi, so good. Also made a spiced chocolate sauce that was fantastic with this.


I'm telling you, this is so darn good ! I do not make my meringue very sweet, and I do not add sugar to the fruit, so this is not a heavy dessert. I used real whipped cream, one could use cool whip, but I do not like cool whip much and never have it on hand.

So, I'm believing it's going to be an awesome summer.

Let's have fun and enjoy every moment of it.

No comments: